Sunday, September 03, 2006

Today the tickets arrived by courier!! I am so excited. I can't believe how excited I am!! Going to Canada with my boy to meet his family. It feels like a big step, and a really lovely one. I am also thrilled to be going to San Francisco for a day and a night. Can anyone recommend stuff to do/stay in San Fran? So far all I've got is a place to have clam chowder!! Sounds so American to me. So anyway, got the tickets and then I read through some of the additional paraphernalia and one of the papers was about needing an electronic passport to go into the States without a visa. Had a minor heart attack and then rang a few places to try to find out whether I did or not. The American Embassy was closed due to a holiday, labour day week-end I think. They gave me an alternative number to call if it was an emergency and I was an American citizen. Now, in my mind it was an emergency, and I can do a pretty convincing American accent, well, at least I think so, but these American agencies take themselves so seriously, I thought it was best not to call. Anyway, someone at the travel agency was able to tell me that I did indeed posess an electronic passport. Now I'm just trying to get info on hand luggage. The news from one source is that absolutely no hand luggage is allowed, except passports and travel documents. I wonder if there has been a rise in the number of people caught attempting to join the 'mile high' club, out of sheer boredom. And more importantly, will I be one of those people!!! Anyway, America/Canada, here I come!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Suze said...

ps: Bec, cinnamon tic tacs will be coming back with me!! If I can clear them through ozzie nazi customs!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Dz said...

Stop fretting, you'll have a great time. As to carry-on luggage, yes you can still have it, but:
-no liquids(as in no Bourbon from the US)or water
-no make up, toothpaste etc
(what horror!)
-no electronics, games,I-pods, lap- tops in your carry- on.
Check out the airline you are flying with they'll be more specific about what you can/can't bring.

I havce a girfriend who hoes to San Francisco on a reg. basis, will ask her about places to see in 24 hrs:)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Dz said...

ooops, Ok I think it's aknown fact that I can't spell:)
Sorry she "goes" to San Francisco not hoes...hahaha

10:16 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

thanks jenna! In terms of carry on luggage, if you can't take water, makeup, electronics, then what else is there?

Can i take a book? It's so hard to get information on this, it's nuts!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Dz said...

I'll ask I just had a friend fly in from Italy.Get back to you tomorrow:)

9:30 PM  
Blogger pitfinder said...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Here's the official list.
Hope it helps. Have a wonderful trip!

9:57 PM  
Blogger earthkissed said...

:) Have a fantastic trip Suze, I'm sure you will have a fun time. I once got my bag opened and searched coming home from england because on xray there were all these suspicious round things in them - minstrels and mints! My imports from overseas are so predictable!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Dz said...

Ok so my friend just fly in with Lufthansa, he could bring his lap top, and a book. No I-pod and nothing liquid.This realy sucks!
But you'll have a great time Suze:)
When do you leave?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Cool, thank Jenna. Crazy that you can't bring in liquid hey? I get so dehydrated on planes. At least I can take a book! I wish I could take my knitting though. What do all the old grannies do? I am so over this culture of fear! People forget that George Orwell's book 1984 was not so much about a centralised 'big brother' but about fostering a culture of fear to control the people. DON"T FORGET!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jamie Reygle said...

Hey Suze,

You're welcome to make a detour through Virginia if you want. We love having visitors!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

Thanks Jamie, but i'm not going to have any time, this trip. Lightning trip, only 7 days in Canada. One of these days I'll go back to America, hire a Winnebago, for the full tourist experience and come and visit everyone. Maybe i can line it up with an AFL grand final and we can go the embassy and celebrate!!!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home