Friday, October 20, 2006

Last night was really special.

I got home after a full, fulfilling day will Lou, collaborating on our book plus project, thought I was really late, but realised I had time for a bath before dinner.

So I worked out what I was going to wear. Gorgeous black dress with a vintage feel, patterned black stockings, 40s high heel shoes, and pink crystal necklace, while the bath was running, threw everything on the bed to distinguish from the wardrobe contents placed strategically on the floor, all the while chatting seamlessly with my beautiful friend Jade.

We then took the conversation to the bathroom, me slipping into the welcoming, embracing water of the bath, Jade plonking on the toilet seat, Max giving me 'come hither' looks like he's a frat boy in the body of a two and a half year old and my dog Indi, trying to hump Max. And I just love the ease that we all have around each other, chatting away, laughing, with the knowing of years passed...

Suddenly it was ten past six so I leapt out of the bath, slopped on some moisturiser, got dressed, and then Jade and I did our makeup, sharing the mirror and compliments like teenagers, and raced out the door.

We drove to Lou's house, after stopping by the bottle shop (wine shop, off license..) for strawberry champagne, roses for Lou, and funny comments by the guy behind the counter. This little stop unwittingly set the tone for the evening and when we arrived the house was beautiful.

Lou gave me, for my birthday present, a dinner party, that she organised, cooked, and did the most beautiful table setting for. She was running late, still in casual clothes from a day in the study, and looking dishevelled and lovely. And she was as calm as her manic self would allow. It all worked with a magic ease as Liz and Deb were late too, arriving in perfect time.

We milled around the lounge room and kitchen, helping cook, cut, and eat, Lou got dressed, and Liz and Deb arrived. We sat down, drank, ate, laughed, shared and I felt so priveleged to partake in a beautiful home cooked meal with my closest friends.

It was also a recognition, and appreciation of how much I've grown in the last ten years. And the friends that have seen me through that. And also the grattitude for these friends that have stood by me, listened to me, stuck up for me and laughed with me for all the years I've been up here. It was nice to acknowledge them all for that.

Especially the roles that they have played in the last couple of weeks. I really don't know how I would've gotten by without them. Their kind console, their wisdom, their gentle pushes.

It gave this mountains village a feeling of, a knowing of, 'home', that I have rarely felt in my life.

We ate baked salmon, warm vegetable salad, apple and rhubarb crumble for desert. I don't know how Lou, who has only known me for a few months knew that these were my favourite foods. And also a cake. A birthday just isn't a birthday unless there is a cake. After a full, minute packed day, it was all just perfect.

And we all drank to a gentler, slower, steadier year, and then laughed that anything of the sort is unlikely for the likes of me!!

I have always found it scary to have people around me that know me so well, but now I realise that that's the meaning of friendship. And it is an honour, one that I hold so close to my heart, to call these spectacular women my friends.

9 Comments:

Blogger pitfinder said...

Happy Birthday!!

So, you're like, what, 22, 23 now?


:-)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Dz said...

Hey gorgeous:) Happy Birthday!

8:40 PM  
Blogger NWO said...

Happy birthday! Life is good.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Pitfinder- Hahahahah
Do I really sound so immature and naive? I'll be 34!!!
ANd thanks guys, yes life is indeed good.

2:17 AM  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Happy Birthday, the food, the company, the surrounds sounded wonderful and perfect. You are a very lucky girl:)

4:05 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

We love you!! So glad you had fun...

5:00 AM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Smiling Willow said...

Happy Birthday Suze-a-licious!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Jett said...

You indeed are a lucky person to have the best of friends. People come and go but true freinds last a life time. I love this community.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home